Friday, February 27, 2009

Guilty feelings

Why is it that I always feel guilty when I miss work because I'm sick? I started with a cold Wednesday night and Thursday nnew I was in trouble. I had the flushed face feeling and burning eyes and sore throat. But I also had a meeting that I couldn't get out of where I had to present so I knew I had to suck it up and stay at work all day. Last night went downhill with the body aches and chills. But I still insisted I had to go to work today. I do have a meeting at 3 today that I can't change because it is to set up for an international conference next Monday morning so I really have to be there. I woke up this morning and decided I would be much better off staying in bed and going in after lunch. But I felt guilty. I actually told Dan that he had to make me stay home until 12:45 so I wouldn't go to work earlier. To put this in full context, I have 41 days of paid leave right now so the time off isn't really going to cost me anything. I looked at my laundry basket and thought I should do some laundry. I had to say out loud "Stop" so I wouldn't do it. I also feel a great urge to check my email every hour to make sure nothing is too urgent. So now it is noon and I need to go get dressed and presentable so I can go to work. And I'm sure I will come home and think man I should have gone in sooner because my work will never get done.

3 comments:

  1. I would say that it is because you are a dedicated professional--it is the part of your drive that got you the great job to begin with. I'll tell you like I tell Whitney--don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course the minute I got to work my boss asked me for a report that took an hour to do that he needs at 3:30. So probably good I came in when I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the stuff ulcers are made of!

    ReplyDelete