Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Shopping

I'm not a clothes shopper. In fact I have fewer clothes than Dan does. I just can never figure out what would look good and I always forget I could get something tailored. I can't match clothes so if I have any patterned clothes I would never know what to do. So there is lots of red and black in my closet.

But what I do like shopping for is wine. In Oklahoma, you have to go to a liquor store to buy wine. I could spend hours in the store looking at all the bottles of wine they have. Wine can be intimidating. You hate to spend a lot of money on something if you don't know if you'll like it. So a couple of years ago I started to going to wine tastings at the local liquor store. Oklahoma has some very backward laws and the only way to have a tasting is to have a separate entrance and a separate room. Needless to say not many places have that. Wine tastings let you try things you never would have. I am not a big fan of red wines but over the years I can narrow down what it is I don't like and I'm much more open to try things. I enjoy the camaraderie of all of us who show up at the same time every week to try new things.

But there is more to wine than just the taste. There are all sorts of bottles and labels. Of course the marketers specifically do that to catch a woman's eye (yes I mean a woman not just anyone) and get them to try it. All sorts of names like Little Red Truck or Lipstick. They put cute animals on the labels like kangaroos and monkeys to get people to look. I admit I have purchased some of these because of that and I am always disappointed. Never buy a bottle because there is a monkey on it.

We have one store in town that carries every bottle of wine that can be purchased in Oklahoma. It is so huge I can just walk up and down and never get tired of looking. I do have my limits...I only like to spend $10/bottle. But you would be surprised at what you can find for that price that is good.

So if anyone is in Norman on a Thursday night (and sometimes Wednesday) and wants to go with me to a wine tasting, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment