Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Senior Recognition Night

My poor photography skills
So last night was the big night to announce scholarships. I was amazed at the number of students who didn't participate in the event. Frankly if I got a scholarship, I would want to be there when they announce it. Whitney chose a private school to go to so there aren't a lot of students from her high school going there, eventhough it is only 30 minutes away. Her admissions counselor presented her with a scholarship certificate along with a boy who is going to major in music. The funniest part of the whole evening was when the counselor was talking about Whitney. Earlier a boy had received a naval ROTC scholarship from his father. It was very touching. So Ashley, the counselor, said that "in case you didn't know, Whitney is my daughter". Of course everyone got a good laugh because Ashley is African-American and Whitney is as white as you can be. At the reception, Whitney was dragging around going this is my real mom.

The 2011 graduating class had received over $7 million in scholarship offers and had accepted $5 million as of yesterday. While some of that is the Oklahoma Promise money that the state gives out, it still is a very impressive total.

2 comments:

  1. That is just awesome. I remember attending my niece's last year. She received several scholarships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! My school did not have anything like that, of course, I did not get a scholarship either.

    ReplyDelete