Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Holiday Cranberry Chutney

I've always made cranberries like my mom and grandma did...exactly like the bag with just one cup of sugar and one cup of water plus about half a box of strawberry jello. Well last year I decided to try something different and we loved it. And I did it again this year and everyone loved it. Our guest said it was better than her grandma's recipe (always a good sign). Dan couldn't get enough of it. I got the recipe at allrecipes.com. While they say put it over some cream cheese and use it as a spread, we just use it as our salad and so tasty.

Holiday Cranberry Chutney
courtesy of allrecipes.com


  • 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 large cooking apple, chopped (I used a Fuji)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

  1. In a saucepan, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until apple is tender and mixture thickens. Cool completely.
  2. Store in the refrigerator. Serve over cream cheese with crackers or as a condiment with pork, ham or chicken.


This gets really thick if you make it the day before.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter is a cranberry sauce [relish?] FIEND - the recipe off the back of the bag kind - ho'hum. I always wanted to try something new - especially the recipes that call for orange zest, etc - but she refuses.

    I think while she is away I will make it and try it. I bet it is great. I love allrecipes.com. I get the best recipes from there and the comments are such a big help.

    ReplyDelete