Sunday, November 20, 2011

Holiday gift preparation

This is year three of homemade gifts for co-workers and neighbors. I wanted to try something outside of my normal (meaning no cooking for these gifts). So I'm in practice mode right now.

The first thing I tried was decorating a candle with pretty ribbons. While I have the ribbon on and it looks nice, what I had bought to cover up the ribbons seam isn't working. I'm still trying to figure out if I can come up with a good way to cover it up. But overall this is successful.

The second thing I'm trying to homemade potpouri mix. I found a recipe online and am trying it out as I type. It is one that you cook on the stove and just keep adding water to it. I can smell the cloves but nothing else yet. I really hope it starts smelling like cinnamon soon.

If neither of these work, I guess I'll have to come up with a third idea. I like to keep it inexpensive but still nice. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought about any of the homemade cookie or brownie mixes in a pretty jar? TECHNICALLY it's not cooking.

    Also, a couple years ago, one of my coworkers gave everyone a wire kitchen wisk. The inside of the wisk was filled with Hershey kisses. The tag said "We wisk you a Merry Kiss-mas". It was cute, useful and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less cloves, more cinnamon sticks. And dried orange peel. YUMMY.

    Buttons work great to cover the seams on ribbon and they stick really well with a dab of hot glue. Yours sound pretty.

    We like to buy the mini ball canning jars [pint size] and fill with sugared walnuts or peppermint bark. Or use the larger ones and fill with "white trash" the stuff is AHHHHDICTIVE. I am not kidding.

    ReplyDelete