Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hodgepodge - Please Get Rid of these Words!




Time for our weekly roundup of questions from Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.


1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English in 2012-

amazing, baby bump, shared sacrifice, occupy, blowback, man cave, the new normal, pet parent, win the future, trickeration, ginormous, and thank you in advance.

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Go here to read more about how the words are chosen.

I think baby bump is so obnoxious. It sounds so degrading to women and babies. Whatever happened to pregnancy glow?

2. Are you easily embarrassed?
I don't think so.

3. What is your go-to snack?
Granola bars. They are 90-100 calories and can curb hunger pretty well.

4. Have you ever been to Washington D.C.? If not do you have any desire to go? What site/attraction would you most want to see in that city? If you have been, what's your favorite site/attraction?
I've been there so many times. I have to go there at least once a year for work. Plus I had visited there before I had gotten this job. There are so many good places to go and I love that most of them are free. A little visited place is Ford's Theater. They have a great museum in the basement and if you are lucky you can go across the street to the house where Lincoln died.

5. sit ups-planks-lunges-squats...which do you hate the least?
What are these? HAHA. Of course you would have to exercise to like or dislike any of these and I absolutely refuse to do that.

6. What's a small act of kindness you were shown that you've never forgotten?
I really don't know. Does that mean I don't notice them or maybe that I just expect kindness so it doesn't seem unusual?

7. Have you ever been a blood donor?
I donated blood once and was told don't come back. I passed out when the needle went in. I would like to think that I am more mature now and could do it if needed to.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
My new dishwasher is so awesome. I used the delay function last night and it started right when it was supposed to. Dan seems to think that it is a little space age with all the lights and it may be trying to outsmart him. The only problem is it takes me forever to fill it up now. I should have gotten a new one years ago when we went through dishes faster.

8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your answers. Visiting from Hodgepodge. I wish my snack favorite was healthy--but maybe chips and salsa is too bad. Drop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love the 'ban these words' list.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you made it into the same room as the needle! Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love new appliances!
    It's so sad we have to wait years and years for them to finally give out to experience the newest gadgetry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #5.-I definitely need to get reacquainted with these words post-holiday eating. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived ten years without a dishwasher. This was back in the day when I had an infant, a ginormous amount of dishes, bottles etc., and another baby bump that completely hindered doing dishes at the sink.

    Never. Ever. Again.

    My ideal house would have two. One to get clean dishes from, and one to put the dirty ones into. Volia! No need to ever unload!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read that article about the banned words and I was actually going to write an obnoxious blog post using every word two or three times. I will have to go check out this hodgepodge site. Found you through Skippy and I really like the look of your blog. I have NEVER in my life lived in a house with a working dishwasher. I wouldn't even know what to do with one at this point, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahha the blood donor place told you not to come back!? classic.

    ReplyDelete