Saturday, April 7, 2012

Crazy Cooking Challenge - Blueberry Crumb Muffin

Photobucket

Month two for my participation in the challenge. When I saw the topic I wasn't sure I would do it. We don't eat muffins. Anytime I have tried to make them, they never come out. Of course I've always used the mix and they seem to stick to the papers or the tin. But I figured Whitney would be home for spring break and this would be a good treat. I printed out about 10 recipes. So many looked similar but I diligently went through them all. I gave them to Whitney to pick out and she narrowed it down to two. I was surprised she didn't pick the chocolate/blueberry one but she said it sounded strange. So we had two with crumb toppings. I chose the one that used a little less butter (since of course muffins are healthy). HAHA.

The recipe I chose was Blueberry Crumb Muffins from Dishing the Divine. Paula said that this recipe was just as good as her favorite muffin recipe. I figure that had to be a good sign.


Ingredients

crumb topping
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
muffin batter
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 pint blueberries, rinsed, drained, and picked over (I used frozen blueberries)

Instructions

  1. Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
  2. For the crumb topping, combine the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl and stir well to mix. Melt the butter in a small pan. Remove from the heat and add the brown sugar to the pan of melted butter and use a small heatproof spatula to stir them together. Scrape the butter and sugar mixture into the flour mixture, stirring it until the flour is evenly moistened. Set aside while preparing the batter.
  3. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl and stir well to mix.
  4. Combine the butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for about 1 minute, or until well mixed and a little lightened in color. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating smooth after each addition.
  5. Decrease the mixer speed to low and beat in 1/2 the flour mixture. Stop the mixer and use a large rubber spatula to scrape down the bowl and beater.
  6. On low speed, beat in the milk. After the batter has absorbed the milk, beat in the remaining flour mixture. Stop and scrape down the bowl and beater again.
  7. Add the blueberries to the bowl and beat them into the batter on lowest speed for no more than 2-3 seconds, to crush some of the berries slightly.
  8. Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a large rubber spatula to give a final mixing to the batter.
  9. Divide the batter evenly among the cavities in the muffin pan. Break the crumb topping into small crumbs with your fingertips and scatter over the top of each muffin. Bake the muffins until they are well risen, feel firm to the touch, and the topping is golden, about 30 minutes. Cool the muffins in the pan on a rack


Ready for the oven

Comments: I couldn't believe how thick the batter was. My experience with muffins usually is just the ones you get at hotel breakfasts. I think of them as somewhat light. These were very dense. I kept thinking I had the wrong size muffin tin. I filled up 12 cups to the top and overflowing. Then when I added the crumb topping I had so much extra. And they were pretty covered. I think I overcooked them by a minute (eventhough I pulled them out before the time on the recipe). The nutmeg was pretty strong (I like nutmeg) but I think a little less would let you taste the blueberries. The crumb topping was pretty crunchy (which is why I think I cooked them a minute too long). The next day I warmed one up and then put some butter on it and that seemed to help the denseness. Someone had mentioned that theirs were dry on the original blog and everyone else wondered why. Mine seemed dry too but butter helped.
Out of the oven

The blueberries kept their shape nicely

Would I make these again? No. Not because the recipe was bad its just that we don't eat muffins (in fact I've got most of them in the freezer). And actually with them being in the freezer, they have regained some moisture when we defrost them. Still wouldn't make them again but better this way for us.

Check out all the other versions of blueberry muffins out there.


9 comments:

  1. at least you got out of your comfort zone and tried something you normally do not bake!! Wish I lived closer as my family would gobble them up. Have a great weekend, saying hello from #59

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good coming out of the oven, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your muffins look really tasty. I like the crumb topping on them. I don't usually make muffins either, the ones from scratch don't turn out too nice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really good. Sorry they are dry. If you like bread pudding, you could use them for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crumb topping looks really good!!Stopping by from CCC #41.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That crumb topping looks so good. Your daughter made a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard that a frozen blueberry muffin can be considered a weapon in some counties. Just sayin'.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my stars, all these amazing looking muffins!!!! Thanks for a linky party with so many great recipes! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete