Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Fragments - Olympics Edition

Joining with Mrs. 4444 to put together a bunch of stuff for those of us too lazy to come up with a blog topic. (OK, that's my definition not hers)

Mommy's Idea

The Olympics is on constantly thanks to streaming online. Now I'm not mad when someone posts who won what simply because I already watched it. But don't worry, I'm not telling anyone else so I'm not that spoiler person.

Yesterday was the gold medal match in women's archery. I've sort of become an archery fanatic. For those of you who don't know, each archer gets 3 arrows a set. If you score more you get two points. First person to six points wins. After five sets you go to a tie-breaker. The girl from Mexico was down to her last point and came back to tie it after five sets. The crowd was so supportive of her because she was the underdog. Then came the tie-breaker. ONE ARROW! Can you imagine it all coming down to one arrow? The girl from Korea won.

Did you know the top Korean archer is legally blind? Sort of makes you wonder how he can aim but he can see vague colors/shapes. So he aims for the yellow. He set a world record the first day.

Today's unusual sport to watch is trampoline. Bet you didn't know that was an Olympic sport. This is not your backyard trampoline and they certainly are doing tricks that if one of your kids do you would have a heart attack.

Track and Field starts today. I need to check and see where they put the Olympic torch since it was sort of installed in the middle of the field portion of the stadium. I don't think they are throwing javelins around it.

For non-Olympic news, Whitney has an MRI scheduled for Monday for her foot. She hurt it somehow earlier this summer, wore a boot for a few weeks and it just hasn't recovered. The MRI will determine if she has a slight stress fracture or inflammation. We see the doctor Tuesday morning for the results then get on the road to move her back into the dorms. Thank goodness that she has covered parking under the dorm so we don't have to be out in the sun in 100+ temperatures moving her stuff. I don't think I could do that.

We almost got the alltime record high temperature yesterday. We were one degree short. Frankly if we are going to get that hot, I want something to show for it. Mandatory water rationing went into effect yesterday. I could tell water pressure was going down so I hope people heed the warnings. Water is something you just don't want to run out of. You sort of need it to live.

Yesterday was post 500 for my blog. What started out as my own blog because I had taken over Dan's has turned into a creative writing outlet that I didn't know I needed. Sometimes it is stupid stuff, sometimes important, but it is a way for me to show a side of me that not many people know.

For all of you who read this blog, thank you. I hereby award you a gold medal (courtesy of the Olympics of course)!


6 comments:

  1. I haven't been watching much of the Olympics - gasp! Hubby has control of the remote most of the time in this house. Good luck on the MRI -that you get an accurate reading and can get things better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that when watching the Olympics, a sport you'd NEVER thought about before can become almost an obsession.

    This happens for us with Curling in the Winter Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gold medal winner! Thank you, thank you. The drought is serious. Sorry to hear. And yes, water is necessary to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I wish I had seen the archery! Just don't have the time to sit and watch. I did catch a bit of the women's volleyball and diving last night which I enjoyed. The trampoline event sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on the record temperature thing. I've actually said pretty much the same thing before.

    You guys sure are getting the heat out there...fires, too. :( Hope you're managing to stay comfortable and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been the hottest summer on record here where I am ... so I totally get the idea of if it's going to be this hot, we ought to get something to show for it! ha!

    ReplyDelete