Monday, July 29, 2013

Weekend Trip to Tulsa

Dan and I took a day trip to Tulsa Saturday. We went to the Gilcrease Museum where they had a special exhibit on Thomas Moran and Yellowstone. Moran is one of Dan's favorite American artists and he is about to go to Yellowstone so this was a special exhibit for him. They don't allow photos inside the museum so all I could get was one outside of a statue by Alan Houser. Our university has a few of his statues so I know his work.


They also have some gardens there and while I was outside trying to warm up (the museum was really cold) I noticed this web on top of a bush. The water droplets looked like jewels so I had to take a picture.


We went to Back Alley Blues and BBQ for a late lunch. In all the BBQ shows, they talk about how the burnt ends are the prize part. This restaurant has them (as long as they last for the day) so I decided to go for it. I got the last order of the day. They were extra smokey and the dry rub they use has a kick to it. It came with two side so I got baked beans and a green apple slaw. The beans had a lot of pulled pork in it (in fact too much for me) and the slaw was vinegar based. Dan got pulled pork and the first batch he had was very dry. He mentioned it to the waitress and she said that wasn't right and brought him a new batch that had just been pulled and it was very moist.


They had neat wall art made out of bottle caps.


We went back to the museum so Dan could finish viewing all of the exhibits and we closed down the place at 5.

1 comment:

  1. It's been an age since we toured Gilcrease--in fact the year they had a big exhibit of Thomas Moran was about the only time I recall actually going there. The paintings were impressive!

    Haven't ever been to that BBQ place, but then I am not very adventurous!
    tm

    ReplyDelete