Monday, January 27, 2014

French Onion Soup

I saw this on The Chew Friday and couldn't stop thinking about it. So I made it. It ended up being super delicious and now I can't wait for the leftovers.

French Onion Soup
Courtesy of The Chew (Clinton Kelly)


2 pounds medium Yellow Onions (sliced)
1/2 bunch fresh Thyme (tied with kitchen twine) (I used 1/2 tsp dried)
2 Bay Leaves
1 teaspoons Salt
2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Full-Bodied Red Wine
4 cups Reduced-Sodium Chicken Broth
1 cup Water
1 teaspoon Black Pepper

6 slices Baguette (1/2-inch slices)
1/2 pound Gruyere or mild Swiss Cheese (grated)
2 tablespoons Parmesan (grated)

In a heavy pot, cook onions, thyme, bay leaves, salt, olive oil and butter over moderate heat, for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are a deep caramel color. Add flour and stir, cook for about 1 minute. Stir in wine and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, water, and black pepper and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When ready to serve, toast baguette slices. Preheat broiler. Remove bay leaves and thyme stems from soup. Ladle soup into oven-safe crocks or bowls. Top with toasted baguette slice, then grated gruyere, then grated parmesan. Broil until cheese bubbles and turns light golden brown.

NOTE: If you don’t have oven-safe crocks, you can make cheesy croutons. Place toasted baguette slices on a baking pan, top with both cheeses. Broil until cheese bubbles and turns light golden brown. Place one cheesy crouton on top of each bowl of soup.

Helpful Tips:
1. This recipe is best taken slow, so make sure to take your time in all the steps of the recipe.
2. In the crocks, make sure to leave enough room for the bread and cheese.
3. If you don’t have oven safe crocks, put the Baguettes with Cheese on a baking sheet and heat them in the oven, then add it to the soup.

I didn't cook the onions as long as the recipe (my pot was starting to get too much brown stuff on the bottom) and I don't have oven safe crocks. But let me tell you this was delicious and worth the crying I did slicing 2 pounds of onions.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of onion soup, French or otherwise but it is a favorite of the Hubby's.
    I do think I'd like the broth and cheese part though. :)

    ReplyDelete