Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Orleans Food

We took a short trip to New Orleans after Christmas. We went to a few neat places but I thought I would start with the food.

When you think of New Orleans, you think seafood. Our first stop was Domilisle's for shrimp poboys. Emeril Lagasse named it as his favorite so we figured we should go there. It is a non-descript building with a hand painted sign. We stood in line for 30 minutes and the line really wasn't very long (it was 2pm). They make everything to order and everyone seems to be ordering several sandwiches. There was only five tables there so we got out sandwiches to go.





There was a lot of shrimp on the sandwich. Overall it was fine but I didn't think the shrimp was cleaned very well.

Then the next stop you have to go to is Cafe du Munde for beignets (we don't drink coffee). It was raining that day but this place has a line way down the street. It was shorter because of the rain so we lucked out.



This is our plate before we dug in.



This is the plate after. Just look at all that powder sugar. These were extremely good and cheap. I recommend going here.

Of course you also have to get a daiquiri on Bourbon Street. My opinion of those haven't changed from the last time I was there...I'm not a fan.





We also went to the Gumbo Shop for gumbo...of course. I really liked the chicken and sausage one but ours is just as good.

We went to one other seafood restaurant for another shrimp poboy but it didn't knock my socks off.

We learned that we cook really good Cajun food.

No comments:

Post a Comment