Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I Love the Winter Olympics

I'm an Olympics junkie. I admit it. There is just something about watching these events that never get shown on tv that makes me happy. And I applaud NBC for having everything live online or even on NBC Sports in the morning so I can pick what I want to see.

Here's a review so far of my highlights.

Biathalon

This is the sport that combines cross country skiing and shooting. I never knew that in the "sprint" they have to shoot once laying down and once standing. And the standing one is after they have skiied like 8-9km. That is just crazy.



Freestyle Moguls

This is one of those X-Games type events. But as I watched it yesterday morning I saw the craziest jump ever. The guy did a face first flying flip. It looked like he was superman. Totally awesome and crazy.

Cross Country Sprint

This morning had the cross country sprint for both men and women. I really don't know how they do it. Basically it is a spring on skis around the track with a big hill and downhill. When I turned it on they were on the semi-finals and one of the guys had destroyed a ski. He was trying to finish the course but basically it fell apart. Someone came up and gave him a different ski since he wasn't going to advance but that is just agony. The skiers actually have to race four times (about a 3 minute race) in a very short time frame. By the finals they are exhausted. The final was super exciting. Of course these are all world class athletes. The downhill section had been really claiming a lot of skiers. When they got to the top of the hill, one of the skiers basically quit. He was wiped out. Then the first two made it through and then BOOM one slipped and fell down. Then another one. And then the third one ran into both of them and crashed. The fellow who had quit decided to keep going and he ended up with the bronze medal.

This is what they look like at the end of a race. They have given it their all.

So what am I looking forward to? Well the craziest sport I think is skeleton. That's where they go down face first on the sled. Have you seen some of the crazy helmets they are wearing? I think it says a lot of about your mentality to do that sport?





No comments:

Post a Comment