Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Hodgepodge

I'm going to get to do a hodgepodge this week. It's almost like I've forgotten how to join.




1. Joyce's hubs spent last weekend pheasant hunting. Are there hunters in your family? If so, what do they hunt? Which of the following have you tasted-pheasant, rabbit, venison, duck, goose? Which of those would you most like to taste, or be mostwilling to taste?

Vegetarians keep calm and Hodgepodge on.

No hunters in the family and I'm glad. I've had venison and duck and haven't cared for either of them. I don't think I want to try anything else.

2. What high spot have you visited that gave you a wonderful 'bird's eye view' of something below?

We made it halfway up the volcano on Maui and looked down towards our condo. Puts things in perspective.


3. Do you have any birds in your home? These could be either real live pets or decorative, as in bird prints, knickknacks, fabric or pottery.

I used to have some ducks that were my fathers that I got when he passed away. I think they are in the attic now. I have a bird book if that counts.

4. Tell about a time you 'killed two birds with one stone'?

Vacation and work trip all in one...Hawaii

5. Your favorite song with a bird in it's title?

I had to look up lists of songs with birds in the title to figure this out. Best I can do is Fly Like an Eagle by Seal.

6. What most recently gave you goose bumps?

Wow, I haven't had any lately. Maybe last time I got really cold for no reason?

7. Halloween is this Friday...any plans? Did you trick or treat as a child? Carve pumpkins? Share your most memorable costume.

One time (I think 3rd or 4th grade) my mom made me a Statue of Liberty costume out of gray trash bags. It was so awesome. And it was the one year our little town didn't have the Halloween costume parade. Trick or treat is for elementary age kids or younger. I'm pretty adamant about that. I never liked touching the inside of a pumpkin. So we really didn't do a lot for Halloween as Whitney grew up. I reused costumes for a few years and we attempted to carve.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

We had suitcase Sunday at church. Basically we collected new and gently used small suitcases for foster kids in the state of Oklahoma.


This cage was full after the last service. I don't know how many they collected but I hope that all kids are able to get one. They also had different organizations that help out foster kids there. And a touching video from a couple of church members who do both foster kids and have adopted kids out of foster care.

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of suitcase Sunday. What a wonderful thing to do! You get the prize for the best two birds with one stone : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of a suitcase Sunday. I collect the small soaps etc from our hotel stays for the woman's shelter and the kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like venison either. Even when prepared like hamburger and even when I don't know beforehand that first bite will always throw me off. Ewww! Tastes game-y and wild and not something I enjoy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, the suitcase Sunday is new to me too, but what a great way to do outreach to the children in your community. It was good to meet you today on Hodgepodge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Suitcase Sunday :) Our church has a ministry called "Rooted in Love" that collects things for people who are going to do foster care or adopt (baby supplies, etc) plus they do at Easter baskets for all the kids in foster care here in our county :)

    Love the view from the volcano in Hawaii!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Suitcase Sunday is a lovely idea! Good for you & your church. I went up the volcano in Maui by car many years ago, and then we biked down… but, really, we "coasted" down and made sure we had good brakes! It was a fun experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, what a great idea Suitcase Sunday!
    That is the ultimate 'Killing two birds with one stone!'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Suitcase Sunday is just too cleaver! What a great idea!

    Great combining business with pleasure in Hawaii nonetheless.

    Wishing you a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete